BOARD OF DIRECTORS OPPORTUNITY
The Leadership Niagara Board of Directors is now actively seeking passionate, experienced and community focused board members to help guide the organization into the chapter.
ABOUT LEADERSHIP NIAGARA
Started in 2007, Leadership Niagara is a non-profit organization that aims to develop leaders from diverse backgrounds within the public, private and non-profit sectors around the idea of growing stronger together through collaborative leadership and social responsibility. We aim to strengthen the bonds within the region and serve as a retention and engagement tool for our Niagara businesses and non-profits.
Leadership Niagara needs YOU if . . .
- You are passionate about Niagara Community and believe strongly in civic engagement
- You are excited about being part of a respectful and hard-working cross-functional team
- You have the time and energy to spend 6 – 8 hours a month doing board work: attending board meetings, participating in committee work, and being a Community Champion for Leadership Niagara
We’re especially interested in talking with you if:
- You have are an experienced leader on a non-profit board and you are ready to bring your experience and insight to another organization
- You have a background or expertise in Human Resources/ Organizational Development, Legal, or Insurance
- Live or work in the Niagara Region
Sounds like the right fit for you?
Here are some of the requirements that go along with Board Membership:
- Demonstrate commitment to the mission, values and work of LN
- Devote the necessary time to attend 60% of the scheduled board meetings (approx. 2hrs bi-monthly) and not miss more than 3 consecutive meetings. Board members are also expected to participate in committee work as needed (approx. 10-15hrs/year)
- To devote the necessary time to board orientation and preparation for board meetings (thoughtful reading of monthly board packages and response to communications from LN)
- To be open to participation in learning days, community projects, alumni engagement activities and special events
- Willingness to contribute to the identification of individuals, organizations, businesses and industries that would benefit from participating in and support of our program(s)
- Personal integrity and objectivity, declaration of ongoing conflicts of interest that would prevent them from fulfilling their responsibilities as a member of the board
- Serve as “Community Champions” of LN through conversations and/or presentation with community leaders and employers
- To Exercise:
- Teamwork/consensus building
- Systems thinking/vision
- Sound judgement on difficult and complex matters that may come before the board
To ensure board succession and continuity, membership on the board will be either 2-year or 3-year term limits. During the recruitment process, the board will endeavour to have a balanced mix of term limits.
BENEFITS OF BEING A BOARD MEMBER
As a volunteer with Leadership Niagara, board members may benefit from:
- Opportunities for community engagement
- Networking with and supporting the development of future community leaders
- Building advisory skills while guiding the direction of an evolving organization
Applicants are asked to include a short description (1-3 paragraphs) expressing why they are interested in the position, their professional and/or volunteer experience, and specific skill sets that they possess.
All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline: Friday, April 12, 2019
March 14th, 2019